No Shame in Earplugs!

Wearing earplugs at a rock concert seems counterintuitive, right? The whole point of going is to scream/sing as loud as humanly possible and experience your favorite band (like Bon Jovi for instance) in a different way than merely playing the CD. Although, looking back at those concerts after being introduced to hearing science, I realize that the ringing ears and overall muffled world I experienced when the concerts ended could and should be avoided. I’m not going to stop going to concerts– and you shouldn’t either– so I will absolutely be wearing those earplugs next time around! After all, the musicians themselves wear noise reducing devices when they play—one of the reasons they don’t realize it if their mic unexpectedly cuts out. Could you imagine the level of hearing loss they would experience if they didn’t do this?

It only takes 1 concert or major sporting event to cause temporary hearing loss or temporary tinnitus (ringing of the ears). Two factors that have to do with levels of hearing loss are the intensity of the sound and the duration of the sound. Exposure to levels above approximately 85 dB (decibels) may cause hearing loss. But remember length of exposure also must be taken into consideration.

To give you some perspective on what different dB levels sound like, here is a link to the CDC website. This page is interactive, so play around with it! The bar at the top allows you to match up the intensity of a sound measured in dB with the length of exposure it would take for hearing loss to occur.  For example, a chain saw reaches levels of 110 dB. You only need to be exposed to this noise for less than 2 minutes for it to cause hearing loss.  The maximal tolerable noise levels for humans are about 120-140 dB.  Above these levels you would experience tickling in your ears—but the painful kind, not the fun kind.  Sound becomes uncomfortable to listen to for a length of time at about 95-100 dB.

Earplugs are a must in loud situations if you want to protect your hearing!

18 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Hey, I really enjoyed reading what you had to say.You have lots of good ideas.This is really great stuff.Keep going.Thanks for sharing..

2. thing has a lesson for us, thanks for share.

3. I love the poem because is so nice and exprees a lot of emotion and you can see that the life has another meaning and you can be a better person.

4. Kami akan menganalisa dan memberikan masukan untuk memastikan strategi SEO website Anda, agar berhasil mendatangkan trafik dan penjualan Anda.

• Anya on May 7, 2015 at 3:11 am

It was a userland exploit and Apple was patched by it in about a week.

This is important without which it would be of no use. You can also make changes in the custom sounds with winter board.

5. Your device mustn’t be stuck on the Connect to emergency
    call or iTunes logo screen. You can save HUNDREDS of dollars a year by moving from one carrier
    to the other! And in case, your data get lost by using iTunes,
    you can restore them.

• Myrtis on March 25, 2015 at 7:06 pm

2) If you have the original packaging – make sure you include this in the image.

If you want to unlock, though, there could be hope.
    The only drawback to this program is the steep cost of $9.00.

6. Hello! This post could not be written any better! Reading
    this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many
    thanks for sharing!

7. lage bui han item

8. I’ve started using ear plugs while attending concerts, too bad I didn’t do this when I was 18!

9. thanks for your sharing, i think this article must be share to other people.

Greats.
    kursus make up

• Rosaura on September 7, 2014 at 7:50 am

I pay a visit each day some websites and blogs to read articles, however this blog gives feature based content.

10. definitely appreciate your web site but the truth is must take the punctuation in a good number of of the threads.. {jasa pembuatan toko online| jasa pembuatan website | jasa pembuatan website toko online| toko online} Some are usually rife along with punctuation problems i believe it is really bothersome in all honesty nevertheless I am going to surely occur once more yet again.

11. I was recommended this website by my cousin.
    I am not sure whether this post is written by
    him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble.
    You are wonderful! Thanks!

12. Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it’s really informative. I am gonna watch out for
    brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

13. Hello, this weekend is good in favor of me, as this moment i am reading this fantastic educational post here at my home.

14. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it
    up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road.

Many thanks

15. Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to take a look.

I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting
    this to my followers! Exceptional blog and great design and
    style.

Comments have been disabled.