«

»

May 02

Protect Your Voice

In honor of Better Hearing and Speech Month:

Vocal hygiene isn’t something we constantly think about, but it’s important for preventing voice disorders such as laryngitis and laryngeal carcinoma (cancer of the larynx and vocal folds). After all, we use and abuse our voices so frequently that we do need to take precautions to protect them.

One thing all people are guilty of is clearing his/her throat. Bad idea. How fast do you think your vocal folds slam into each other when you do that? Think about it, the answer is at the end of this post.  Healthier alternatives to clearing your throat are swallowing, taking a sip of water, and clearing your throat silently/without your vocal folds touching (which an SLP can teach you).

I understand that teachers feel the need to yell at their classes to get their attention when they’re too loud but this is technically breaking two rules of vocal hygiene at once! You should limit talking in loud environments and you should be within 3 feet of the listener when you speak. From personal observations, I can tell you that yelling won’t make kids want to listen to you anyway, so there really is no point. Sometimes it causes the kids to get even louder to talk over your yelling! So instead, to grab their attention, try flickering the lights or clapping your hands a couple times.  Teach them these are signals for them to pay attention to.

keep hydrated!

keep hydrated!

Eliminate or reduce smoking, alcohol, and caffeine. Not much to explain here, smoke is a known cancer causer. This has to do with the inhalation of pollutants in general, so second-hand smoke is equally harmful.  Caffeine can dehydrate you, so combat this by drinking plenty of water.

Answer: Vocal folds slam into each other at speeds of about 70 miles per hour when you clear your throat!

10 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Billige Nike SB Skurk Rød Gummi Lys Brun Hvid Sort Skateboarding Herre/Dame

Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Thank you!

2. Inferiores de New Balance Entrenadores

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

3. Daniella

I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content available for you?
    I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a lot of the
    subjects you write about here. Again, awesome web log!

4. specialized mountain bike apparel

Repair kits often come in a bag that attach underneath the bicycle seat.
    Finally you will descend to Corte Romero near wherever your car or truck is parked.

Know the Layout – My GPS receiver conked out early in the ride.

5. artshaalabangalore

In vocal there are many varieties especially in india Karnatic, Hindustani and Western Artshaala Bangalore – is leading vocal classes in bangalore

6. radang amandel

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you
    actually realize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally seek advice from my site =).
    We may have a link exchange contract among us

7. inlyte e cig Electric cigarette

Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

Feel free to visit my page – inlyte e cig Electric cigarette

8. http://www.ecasinosonline.com

continuously i used to read smaller content which as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this post which I am reading at this time.

9. dokter ginekologi

I know this site offers quality based articles and additional data,
    is there any other site which offers these kinds of data in quality?

Feel free to surf to my weblog dokter ginekologi

10. a

Hey! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed
    to ask. Does running a well-established website lime yours
    require a large amount of work? I’m brand neww to blogging but
    I do write in my diary everyday. I’d like to start a bpog so I can share my persinal experienhe and thoughts
    online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspring blog
    owners. Appreciate it!

Comments have been disabled.