«

»

Apr 14

Let’s Play! (Part 2)

Carol Westby refers to the Symbolic Levels of play development as “not just the addition of skill, but the reorganization of thought.”  She defines the following 4 dimensions of play which are used when analyzing play activity:

1. Decontextualization and object substitution: allows play to occur with decreasing environmental support or changing reliance on props from realistic to invented; includes increased use of language
  2. Thematic content: play themes develop from themes in which the children have been frequent active participants, to themes  in which they have participated less frequently, to themes they have only observed, and finally to themes they have invented
  3. Organization of themes: sequential combinations or integrations of actions lead to sequentially and later hierarchically organized play with greater coherence and complexity of action representations
  4. Self- other relationships or decentration: children adopt the roles of others in pretend activities and include others in their pretend; Theory of Mind development is a critical part of this dimension

littlepeople

In Symbolic Level I, children require life-size, realistic props during pretend play.  They only represent events that they frequently participate in such as sleeping, eating, or washing. At this level, there is very little fluidity in play actions. For example, a child may go straight from pretending to be asleep to pretending to eat without any links in between. The beginnings of true verbal communication occur in this level as well. Previously (in the Pre-Symbolic levels) there was only single-word use that was very much context-dependent. So if the child was riding in a car, he might say “car,” but he would not say it if he merely saw a car.

A child in Symbolic Level I would be too young to play with these particular figures (above).  Beside the fact that they are very small in size, these would not be good because children in Level I need very life-like props when they play.  Notice that these figurines are not very life-like at all since they are basically a head and a tube functioning as the rest of the body. It is not until Symbolic Level VI (3 to 3 ½ years old) that children begin to carry out play using replica toys.

A toy kitchen would be a great set for a child in Symbolic Level II (19-22 months). The thematic content of this stage includes acting out activities that the people around them regularly participate in, such as cooking, cleaning, or reading.  This was the kitchen I had when I was little!

A toy kitchen would be a great set for a child in Symbolic Level II (19-22 months). The thematic content of this stage includes acting out activities that the people around them regularly participate in, such as cooking, cleaning, or reading. This was the kitchen I had when I was little!

15 comments

Skip to comment form

1. film

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my good
    old room mate! He always kept talking about this.
    I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.
    Thanks for sharing!

2. LTM210M2.L02

This provides printable flexible displays of
    all sizes. There are various types of organic photovoltaic cells
    (OPVs), including single layered and multilayered structured cells.
    The small pebbles, mud, snow and other such things that you find hard to sweep are easily eliminated through
    the cordless Vacuum Cleaners.

3. 新作大手

単に したい状態 ウェブページで最も印象的な.

4. G104X1-L04

The radial ones (normal capacitors, LEDs, ICs, etc. In the
    world of radio controlled vehicles the term “toy-grade” is often used to describe vehicles of
    the pre-assembled type typically found in discount stores and
    consumer stores. – Always go for bulk purchase that can provide you maximum discounts on your order.

5. Camille

For instance, Treyarch is using a motion capture technology akin to James Cameron’s
    Avatar, that permits accurate facial expression of the
    characters. If you are still trying to decide if you are
    up for another round of mayhem let me try and
    convince you Black Ops is worth it. Kills required:
    11 Attack dogs that hunt the enemy down.

6. Carey

Very nice post. I certainly love this site. Stick with it!

7. reduction

It’s genuinely very complicated in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, thus I simply use the web for that purpose,
    and get the most up-to-date information.

8. retro t shirt

Currently it appears like Expression Engine is the top blogging platform out
    there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you
    are using on your blog?

9. laptrinh-it.blogspot.com

fantastic put up, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector
    don’t notice this. You should continue your writing.
    I am confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

10. t shirt design online

I don’t even know how I finished up here, however I thought this publish used to
    be great. I don’t realize who you might be but definitely
    you’re going to a famous blogger in the event you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

11. youtube

‘ The cheerleader and feature role were set to go to Arbour.

Back you about-face videos blow from You – Tube to MP3, you are
    absorption the music and enabling yourself to pay absorption from any abode at any time.
    Furthermore, use relevant keywords in the video description.

12. sex erotika gei video

Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice
    written and include approximately all important
    infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this
    .

13. prefab homes florida

After looking into a handful of the blog articles on your website, I seriously appreciate your technique of writing a blog.
    I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list
    and will be checking back in the near future. Please check out my website too and let me know how you feel.

My homepage prefab homes florida

14. Face à Nike Runnings Air Jordan 4 Hommes Noir Jaune

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great blog!

15. áspero Entrenamiento Jeremy Scott

I just added this blog to my feed reader, great stuff. Can not get enough!

Comments have been disabled.