«

»

Apr 05

Let’s Play!!!

The good old days of Pre-K… going back to the classroom after lunch and playing… different stations set up around the room: puzzles, the kitchen area, a store complete with a cash register, maybe even a space to play doctor. Today we expect so much from children, too much sometimes.  We can’t forget how important play time is for healthy development (it certainly touches social, cognitive, physical, and language elements of developing). What will happen when the day comes where our school systems become so focused on 4-year-olds sitting rigidly at desks reciting things and supposedly learning to read? Little kids aren’t built to sit still all day, they need time to explore and interact with their peers. Playing IS learning.

Play is one of the 3 behavioral aspects of the Sensorimotor Stage of cognitive development. As mentioned in my previous post, play allows children to learn about their world and the people in it.

Carol Westby is a Speech-Language Pathologist who has written articles about play development in young children. SLPs often use play as a way of assessing a child’s cognitive abilities. Westby explains that play is “a means of expression and a means of interpretation.”  The expressive aspect of play allows the child to show us what their mental representations of the world are. They exhibit their knowledge and how they apply that knowledge to real world situations.  As an interpretive tool, play allows children to learn about people and events.

Westby categorizes different levels of play, breaking them down by age. There are 2 Presymbolic Levels and 8 Symbolic Levels that children go through during development. Here are the ages corresponding to each stage:

play          Presymbolic Level I- 8-12 mos

Presymbolic Level II- 13-17 mos

Symbolic Level I-       17-19 mos

Symbolic Level II-     19-22 mos

Symbolic Level III-    2 yrs

Symbolic Level IV-    2 ½ yrs

Symbolic Level V-     3 yrs

Symbolic Level VI-    3-3 ½ yrs

Symbolic Level VII-   3 ½ – 4 yrs

Symbolic Level VIII- 5 yrs

[Objects start to enter infant’s play environments around 6 months of age. Prior to this, play is mostly social (doing things like imitating the mother’s gestures). It is also important to note that an infant’s first meaningful word will be produced at about 12 months.]

Object permanence is established in Presymbolic Level I, so that in Level II, the infant starts to become active problem solvers. They are now able to navigate a toy with levers and buttons, learning cause-effect relationships of their actions (if I push this button, music will play). Problem solving is also important for meeting needs of the child.  If an object is beyond their reach, they might point to that object while looking at an adult. Another variation on problem solving is being aware of “in-ness”. Instead of trying to stuff their hand through a small opening of a container to retrieve the contents, the child will turn the container over for the contents to spill out. Much more effective!

In my next post I’ll describe some features of the Symbolic Levels of play development. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!  

16 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Bert

Joomla mengesankan cukup untuk menhangani sius yang sangat sarat
    dengan konten besar . Ini benar-benar tergantung pada Anda bahwa perusahaan yang Andaa ingin menyewa untuk mengembangkan,memelihara dan memperbarui aplikasi web bisnis Anda .
    Tim kami yang sangat energik lulusan IT dan mereka bbekerja didedikasikan profesional .

2. beli domain

Ulasan yang keren tentang web hosting, beli domain murah & toko online ini luar biasa bagus.
    Luar biasa sekali & penting diketahui sekali. Semua orang yg make maupun tengah
    cari layanan web hosting murah di Indonesia dan toko online harus baca tulisan ini.

Silakan mampir juga situs ane ya min, banyak tulisan bagus yang bisa jadi berguna
    buat para pencari service web hosting. Salam.

3. beli hosting murah

Ulasan bermanfaat tentang hosting ini keren banget.
    Keren banget dan penting. Setiap orang yg pakai ataupun sedang mencari service web hosting murah di Indonesia harus baca artikel
    ini. Mampir juga website saya ya, banyak ulasan menarik yg pasti berguna bagi
    para pengguna jasa web hosting. Thanks.

4. shred hd muscles

I feel that is among the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i am happy studying your article. However want to commentary on some general issues,
    The website taste is wonderful, the articles is really great : D.
    Good process, cheers

5. the tao of badass free

Show her how much you miss her insurance agencies to pay
    attention to all the stuff that she says, and reacting for it.

By reacting, I imply you have to take about what she says and reveal to her that youve listened.

6. weight loss

Awesome posts you post here, i have shared this post on my facebook

7. Jennifer

Vacuum cleaners with bags need to be replaced frequently. As can be seen from the above applications,
    cleaners of this type have a wide variety of uses.

It is also important that you should consider its form.

8. roc skin care

Appreciating the commitment you put into your
    site and detailed information you provide. It’s nice to
    come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material.
    Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS
    feeds to my Google account.

my weblog roc skin care

9. http://hayday.activecheat.com

Open cell foam does not off-gas unlike it’s cousin the closed cell (tempur) memory foam which it notorious for just that.
    This is an incredibly up to date look for cabinetry. As
    your village grows, you need to explore
    uncharted territories for Gold and Wood which are the 2 key resources you will require in start of the game ( there is
    also Stone resource, which you discover later in the game ).

10. Tilly

I see you share interesting things here, you can earn some additional cash, your website has huge potential,
    for the monetizing method, just type in google – K2 advices how to monetize a website

11. xioi.de

Heya just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

12. domain

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a
    blog post or vice-versa? My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours
    and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot
    me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!

Superb blog by the way!

13. comment pour devenir riche

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d most
    certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to fresh updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

14. articles2sale.com

Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

15. sugar daddy dating uk

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this pareticular article!

It’s the little changes that make the most significant changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

Here is my weblog :: sugar daddy dating uk

16. Jason Tougaw

Fascinating. I’d love to read some of Westby’s research. Your discussion reminds me of Nietzsche’s famous aphorism, from Beyond Good and Evil (1886), “”A man’s maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play.” Freud also makes arguments about the seriousness of play and development in his essays “Creative Writers and Day-Dreaming” and “Beyond the Pleasure Principle.”

Comments have been disabled.