«

»

Nov 15

Emoticons XD

Yes, I have found ways to use this sticker when facebook messaging with my friends, don’t ask me how 😛
Make up a caption for him and leave it in the comment section!

Has my generation been negatively impacted by emoticons and texting? No, not everyone has. Emoticons do come in handy sometimes 🙂

I got my first cell phone in eighth grade.  It was a simple flip phone that took forever to text with. But then again, that was the era when ppl made txts short.  I don’t think the intended use for texting was to tell your friends your whole life story, but nonetheless I do this myself from time to time.

Emoticons have come a long way from the simple smiley face. Why is this? Probably because people realized that by texting they are missing something. Something that would automatically be present if you were talking face-to-face (or even on the phone) with someone. Prosody.

Prosody is the rhythm and intonation of speech. This simply cannot be achieved through written communication, whether it be text messages, essays, or books. Using emoticons seems to be a start to fixing this problem. Now there are so many kinds of faces people include in their written messages to imitate what their own faces would look like during a face-to-face encounter. At some point we have all come across messages where we weren’t sure if our friend was being sarcastic or not.  You don’t know whether to reply with a laugh or an “are you ok?”.  Basically emoticons save busy college students like us from having to pick up a phone. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the truth.

Emoticons are great but just promise me one thing: you won’t hide behind a colon and close parenthesis for your whole life. Get out there and remember there is a telephone function on your smartphone! You won’t lose prosody that way!

early emoticons

3 comments

1. belstaff uk online store

belstaff factory 71 pontiac

2. EMF

Linguist David Crystal calls the Internet “the third medium” (in his book Language and the Internet), because it’s not like speech and it’s not like writing, but has properties of both. Emoticons and other “creatures” of texting are properties of this third medium, things that really deserve some serious research attention; Crystal has some nice descriptive stuff in his book Txtng: The Gr8 Db8. Here’s something I just read about ALL CAPS — pretty related to prosody! http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2013/11/22/the-import-of-all-caps/ I am surprised to read that people will misspell things on purpose! (I am tempted to do so in this comment…)

1. Angela Polloni

Thank you for sharing the ALL CAPS article. I too tend to use caps when conveying excitement in messages. I don’t really find myself yelling at people through writing, although if I’m skeptical about something someone said I would use emoji to express this. I have never heard of misspelling things on purpose– how interesting! I’ll be on the lookout for this now!

Thank you for reading!

Comments have been disabled.